Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Homework for Tuesday Night Drawing Class

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act but a habit." Aristotle




PROPORTIONS:

Read Pages 134 and 135 and then copy the three male images on page 135.
Read about hand proportions on pages 218 - 221 and then copy the images on pages 220 and 221

MEASURING:

Read pages 384-385
Pay particular attention to the plum lines you see around the figures on page 385.
Copy the images you see on page 385.

All above images you are to copy will be due next Tuesday. Please make these drawings no larger than 8" x 11". If you copy them into your sketch book, then give me a photocopy of them so that your book will stay complete.

REVIEW VIDEOS:

You may be surprised at what you missed.


Dear Theo: The Autobiography of Vincent Van Gogh by Irving Stone and Jean Stone


As a young art student, I bought:

Dear Theo: The Autobiography of Vincent Van Gogh by Irving Stone and Jean Stone. The wisdom of Vincent on drawing and pursuing a life as an artist was most encouraging. One passage in particular spoke to me and I thought I would pass it onto you. 


This can be found on page 253 should you decide to buy this wonderful little book:

"There is a saying by Gustave Dore which I have always admired: 'J'ai la patience d'un boeuf.'  I find in it a certain resolute honesty. It is the word of a real artist. Ought one not learn patience from nature, learn patience from seeing the corn slowly ripen, seeing things grow? Should one think oneself so absolutely dead as to imagine one will grow no more? Should one deliberately thwart one's own development.

It was this little bit of wisdom that helped me as I learned to the skills to draw.



No comments:

Post a Comment